Thursday, October 10, 2013

How I got "here"

After suffering with hypothyroidism for years, I finally went to see a new doctor to give me a new outlook on the disease. I loved my other family practitioner, but I wanted to see if there was something "out of the box" that I could try to get my symptoms at bay.

So, I found a holistic MD who felt as though he could help me...and yes he did! Since April, I have adopted a gluten free diet and have been able to cut my dose of synthetic thyroid replacement more than in half! I have had my labs redrawn and have maintained my appropriate levels and more importantly my symptoms have been at bay. Also, I have been able to gradually lose weight that had been hanging on, despite my valiant efforts at getting rid of it!

This same doctor also suggested that I adopt a dairy free life, which honestly I have not been 100% perfect about. However, one thing I learned is that dairy is extremely inflammatory to my body. Each time a little dairy sneaks in, I get bloated, congested and just feel puffy!

Finally, the doc suggested looking at what toxins were in my home. Slowly, I have been tackling a list that he provided and slowly I've been removing and replacing the chemicals and toxins with natural alternatives. I say "slowly", because it is a huge and potentially overwhelming list. You would be shocked to see all of the things in our homes that contain toxins. Some are more important to remove than others, but they all make a difference in the grand scheme of things. Although, you still have to live life...you can live being scared all of the time. It's more about educating yourself and using healthier alternatives when you can. Years ago nearly everything was natural, now people want things faster, cheaper and easier. That mentality comes with a cost...our health! I have a lot of thoughts on this topic that I will share at a later time.

Anyhow, this whole adventure has been a slow process, but the more I learn and the more I change in my life, the better I feel, both physically and emotionally. It is absolutely amazing how much food and toxins affect every area of our lives! If you choose to go this route as well, be easy on yourself, don't get bogged down by everything you should get rid of, but rather take it one day and one product at a time.

If you choose to start with food, look at THIS list of the "dirty dozen." This list shows the 12 + fruits and veggies that are most often contaminated with pesticides and it shows others that are less likely to contain chemicals that get into our systems when we eat them.

On this site, I will also be sharing gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free recipes that our family tries and loves! Also, I will share recipes for making natural cleansers and products for the home.

Best wishes on your journey to living free and simple...whatever that ends up looking like in your home! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment